Gardasil: The Issue That Won’t Go Away Because Young Women Are Not Merely Acceptable PharmaProfits Collateral Damage.
Just because someone says something loud, long and often that it is true and it does not mean that you should believe them. Investigate before you vaccinate! Remember Hitler said: “If you tell a lie long enough loud enough and often enough the people will believe It.?
Marcia G. Yerman : New York based writer focusing on women's issues and the arts; Co-Founder of cultureID : Posted: January 30, 2010 11:17 AM
When I originally named the final installment in the Empowher Gardasil series, the title was "A Mother Speaks Out." Yet, I found that that one woman's story was reflected in the journeys of parents around the world who were searching to understand why their daughters had become mysteriously ill. A series of circumstances seemed to be replicating, and the Gardasil vaccine kept popping up as a common denominator.
As parents sought to navigate a situation where their healthy daughters had become sick and, in the worst case scenario - died, they turned to the Internet for answers. Scouring the web for information, checking message boards and chat rooms, they found out that their predicament was not isolated. They reached out to others; harnessed the power of social media; created support systems and advocacy networks. They began to build a grassroots movement to square off against Merck & Co., the producer of Gardasil. Most importantly, for families who were at the start of an overwhelming and arduous process, they found a space to enter which had been constructed by those who had been there before them.
In 2009, Rosemary Mathis and Marian Green started the website TheTruthAboutGardasil. It comes up in a Google search for Gardasil second, directly underneath the Gardasil website. With a play on Merck's advertising pitch, their tagline is "I don't want to be 'One Less.' Investigate before you vaccinate." I spoke with both women in a joint interview by telephone. They explained their struggles to understand why their daughters' health had become impaired.
Lauren, Mathis' 12 year-old, had been told by her pediatrician that the Gardasil vaccine was "the best thing for her." The first shot left Lauren with nausea and headaches. She had the same symptoms three to four weeks after her second shot, and was advised that she had a "virus." The third shot, which Lauren received in mid-August of 2008, disabled her. By September 4th, she had pains in her legs and side. A series of hospital visits determined that her gall bladder was only functioning at 7 percent of its capability. Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center found that her gall bladder was, in fact, healthy - but that something else was going on. Massive doses of antibiotics helped, but Lauren was put on a modified school schedule. At Duke University Hospital, a doctor who was slated to retire in four weeks told Mathis that her daughter had "vaccine injuries," and prescribed medication for the ulcers in her stomach. In February of 2009, after six months of medical visits, Mathis filed a report with VAERS. Lauren missed 100 days of school. Mathis told me, "I honestly did not know if that child was going to live or die." She continued, "She is still disabled, because she had to redo her modified school schedule this year. She is still not able to attend school on a normal basis without a lot of absences."
Marian Greene feels that her 16-year-old daughter, Holly, was pushed to get the vaccine. An athletic girl and top runner who was being recruited by colleges, Holly had recently lost a coach and a grandfather to cancer. This predisposed her to seek protection by getting the "cervical cancer" vaccine. Holly got her first dose of Gardasil on a Thursday, and on Saturday had what she thought was an allergy attack. Sunday, she had problems breathing and took her asthma medication. The following Monday, she had severe chest pains and could not breathe. Her pallor was grey. Over nine days she repeatedly visited the emergency room, telling her mother that her "chest hurt so badly it felt like someone was ripping her heart out." She had pericarditis, a swelling and inflammation that surrounds the heart with fluid. The doctor said it was directly caused by Gardasil, and wrote that in his report. Holly now has a team of five doctors she is working with: a cardiologist, a rheumatologist, an allergist/immunologist, a naturopath, and a pediatrician.
Mathis questions the role of pediatricians who promote Gardasil as a vaccine to prevent cervical cancer, without a complete enough disclosure and informed consent process. She e-mailed me a letter from Lauren's doctor who expressed his concern, while admitting that he was not convinced of the link to Gardasil. He wrote,
"As you know, however, I am not convinced that Gardisil is the root cause of the problem. I say this not because I trust Merck, because I don't fully trust any of the drug companies. But I do trust the CDC, as well as the American Academy of Pediatrics and the ACIP, who thoroughly review the vaccine research and make recommendations to the CDC. That being said, I know that new info always can show up later, so I just plan on keeping an open mind about this vaccine, like I try to do with all of the various medicines and treatments. However, I rely on the experts, and at this time they still recommend giving the vaccine." Green noted that in her experience with doctors in the hospital setting, there is an acknowledgement of a potential Gardasil and illness relationship. However, most of these doctors are being told by the legal departments of their institutions not to speak out publicly.
As Mathis elucidated, "You are on your own when this happens. The Internet has been a lifeline." So their site has been set up to centralize and store information, create easy reference links, sign a petition, make connections with "Guardian Angels," and to contextualize the fifty deaths that have occurred post-vaccine. Mathis explains, "It helps Moms just coming into the process." Their site's outreach is international. The countries that appear on their hits stats include Israel, the Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand, Greece, Canada, the United Kingdom, Singapore, India, Belgium, Spain, Germany, Italy, Mexico, and Scotland.
Jodi Speakman, the administrator of the Facebook group, "Stop Gardasil! Victoria's Story," spoke to me about the power of her Facebook connections. She is currently working to promote awareness of the potential side effects of Gardasil, and the issue of informed consent. "I've never had a problem with vaccines," she stated flatly. "If I could vaccinate my children against anything, I would." However, her point of view changed when two and a half weeks after her daughter Victoria received the Gardasil shot, she began having seizures and full body tremors. She was advised at Jeanes Hospital in Philadelphia that her daughter was having an "allergic reaction to something." It didn't occur to her to mention the vaccine. As Victoria's symptoms grew worse, she missed her entire senior year of high school. "All of her friends have graduated and gone to college," Speakman said. Now her goal, as she described it, "is to get help for our daughters, as we have been abandoned by the medical establishment." She has contacted her state representatives, but was disappointed when all she received was "form letters in return."
Others are reaching out to officials as well. Karen Maynor, a New Mexico mother whose 20-year-old daughter Megan died in November 2008, wrote a four-page letter to Dr. Margaret Hamburg, the Commissioner of the FDA. She expressed her belief in the "common link" between the young girls who have died and Gardasil. Her frustration is palpable in her statement, "No one seems to care." Points in her correspondence included a call for tests on autoimmune disease genetics before Gardasil is administered; the inefficiency of VAERS to track adverse reactions; lack of doctor knowledge about VAERS protocol and informed consent; the explanation of the full range of side effects. The letter was sent by e-mail and postal mail to a slew of high-level people including Michelle Obama, Hillary Clinton, Maria Shriver, and Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchinson (R-TX). Maynor wrote, "Someone has to take responsibility to initiate an immediate investigation into why these deaths and illnesses occurred."
In Australia, Stephen Tunley, founder of gardasilactiongroup.com, had a face-to-face meeting with Australian Health Minister Nicola Roxon and the Chief Medical Officer of Australia, Professor Jim Bishop. As Tunley wrote via e-mail, he presented them with a "comprehensive file of data to consider regarding Gardasil and health issues." The response from Bishop, responding to "specific issues" Tunley had raised at the meeting, was, "The objective scientific evidence supported by experts and governments around the world is that Gardasil remains a safe and effective vaccine." Bishop's final sentences in the letter states, "I trust this information will address your concerns around this vaccine. Thank you again for bringing these to my attention." This phrase can be viewed as conscientious, or as a supreme brush off.
David and Freda Birrell have been active in Scotland. Freda Birrell, who is involved withICAP.org, sent me comments via e-mail about her political experience in the United Kingdom. Her advice to her American counterparts was "to try to alert as many elected representatives" about the vaccine as possible. In New Zealand, efforts have been put forth by Julie Smith, with her website offtheradar.co.nz. Medications.com has 269 entries on Gardasil, including a link to a CNN report. Numerous sites point to genetic traits or predispositions that can be triggered by Gardasil, and warnings not to get the vaccine bundled with other shots.
Another website that is prominent in posting and disseminating information has beenHolyHormones.com, run by Leslie Carol Botha, a health educator and broadcast journalist. In an e-mail exchange she discussed how her site, a repository for articles on women's health, has featured close to 700 articles on Gardasil. She wrote, "I think that the social media networking has made all of the difference in the world - and changed the fabric of how information is passed. This is the first time that Big Pharma has seen a ground swell of people come out against their vaccine." Her archives include "research papers posted on the vaccines and numerous PDF files on adverse reactions." Botha attributes the worldwide connections to creating a movement of awareness.
The grandmother of Jessica Ericzon found Botha's site when she was searching for answers to Jessica's death. I spoke with Jessica's mother, Lisa Ericzon. She has been in touch with three other women who have lost their daughters. "We call each other when we are down," she told me. Before ending our conversation she said, "I never want to hear another mother say, 'I didn't have an idea.' Because," she added, "I didn't have a clue."
This article first appeared on Empowher.
Follow Marcia G. Yerman on Twitter: www.twitter.com/mgyerman
Stories & Photos of Gardasil Vaccine Reactions
What Is HPV Infection?
- HPV Infection Facts
- Cancer Facts and Figures 2005. The American Cancer Society
- Guidelines for Early Detection of Cervical Neoplasia and Cancer. The American Cancer Society
NVIC Press Releases and Special Reports on Gardasil Vaccine
- August 24, 2009: Gardasil & Swine Flu Vaccine: Inconvenient Truths
- July 14, 2009: Preventing Gardasil Injuries & Deaths - Commentary & VIDEO
- Feb. 9, 2009: Vaccine Risk Report Reveals More Serious Reaction Reports After Gardasil - NVIC press release & VIDEO
- October 24, 2008: NVIC Says Government Denies Gardasil Risks — NVIC press release and VIDEO
- August 15, 2007: NVIC Report/Analysis of Gardasil Vaccine Adverse Events Part III (Debold V, Downey C, Fisher B)
- August 15, 2007: Gardasil Vaccine Risks Increase With Other Vaccines — NVIC press release with live links to references
- February 21, 2007: NVIC Report/Analysis of Gardasil Vaccine Adverse Events Part II (Debold V, Fisher B) (2007)
- February 21, 2007: Vaccine Safety Group Releases GARDASIL Reaction Report — NVIC press release with live links to references
- February 1, 2007: NVIC Report/Analysis of Gardasil Vaccine Adverse Events (Debold V, Fisher B)
- February 1, 2007: Survey of GARDASIL Costs in Private Pediatricians Offices (January 2007)
- February 1, 2007: HPV Vaccine Mandates Risky and Expensive NVIC press release with live links to references — NVIC press release with live links to references
- June 27, 2006: Merck's GARDASIL Not Proven Safe for Little Girls NVIC — Press Release on GARDASIL aluminum content and clinical trials with live links to references
NVIC Statements on Gardasil Vaccine Risks
- Barbara Loe Fisher at Rally in Washington, D.C., March 8, 2007
- Letter to Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) of Centers for Disease Control (August 14, 2007)
TV Reports and Videos on Gardasil Vaccine
- August 19, 2009. CBS News.Gardasil Researcher Speaks Out: “Public Should Receive More Complete Warnings.”
- Feb. 6, 2009: CBS Evening News. Gardasil Vaccine Draws Concerns.
- November 29, 2008: FOX-TV NEWS — Is the HPV Vaccine Safe? Is HPV Vaccine as safe as they claim?
- November 11, 2008: MSNBC-TV News — Mom, Others Question Gardasil's Safety
- November 6, 2007: KATV-7 News — Mandating Gardasil for School Aged Girls
- October 24, 2008: Businesswire Video — NVIC Says Government Denies Gardasil Risks
- July 21, 2008: CBS-11 TV — Adverse Reactions Reported After Gardasil Shots
- July 7, 2008 (WUSA-TV) — Gardasil Vaccine Reaction Reports
- May 7, 2008: CBS-TV 4 (Miami) — HPV Scientist Speaks Out
- February 13, 2007: NBC-TV “Today Show” — Should HPV Vaccine Be Mandatory? Barbara Loe Fisher, NVIC President Debate
- February 8, 2007: News 8-TV( Austin) — Controversy Heats Up Over HPV Executive Order
- February 5, 2007: NBC-TV “Today Show” — HPV Vaccine Mandatory in Texas Dawn Richardson, PROVE President Debates
- 2007: HPV Vaccine Risk Video — 7 Minutes, Grindley Productions made for NVIC
- “W.O.M.A.N….Redefining Woman” with Gina Cloud Contact Talk Radio Archives (scroll down the Archives athttp://www.contacttalkradio.com/hosts/archives/ginacloud-old.htm)
November 21, 2006: Barbara Loe Fisher talks about the cons of the new HPV vaccine with Gina (this interview was downloaded more than one million times on Contact Talk Radio)
October 28, 2008: Barbara Loe Fisher talks with Gina Cloud on Contact Talk Radio about the hazards of the HPV and Menactra vaccines.
- February 22, 2007: WNYC Radio (NPR) — The Brian Lehrer Show “Healthy, Wealthy & Wise" - "Strange Bedfellows"
"At least 20 states are considering mandatory vaccination of young girls against the sexually transmitted virus that causes cervical cancer. But the backlash has been fast and furious--and has led to some unlikely alliances. Barbara Loe Fisher, co-founder and president of the National Vaccine Information Center, and Moira Gaul, director of women's and reproductive health at the Family Research Council, talk about their opposition to mandatory vaccination. Sheila Krumholz, executive director, Center for Responsive Politics, talks about the lobbying efforts and legislative influence of the pharmaceutical industry."
Selected Print Media Reports
- August 19, 2009. Marketing HPV Vaccine: Implications for Adolescent Health and Medical Professionalism. JAMA, Rothman SM, Rothman DJ; Vol. 302, No. 7: pp.781-786.
- August19, 2009. The Risks and Benefits of HPV Vaccination. JAMA, Haug C.; Vol. 302, No. 7: pp. 795-796.
- August 19, 2009. Postlicensure Safety Surveillance for Quadrivalent Human Papillomavirus Recombinant Vaccine. JAMA, Vol. 302, No.7: pp.750-757. Slade BA, Leidel L, Vellozzi C, Woo EJ et al.
- July 4, 2009. Medical News Today. Cost-Effectiveness of HPV Vaccination in The Netherlands.
- April 13, 2009. AsiaOne.com. Singapore urges caution on cervical cancer shots.
- Feb. 28, 2009. Scoop Independent News (NZ). Vaccine Roll-Out Is Wrong Without Honest Advice.
- June 9, 2006. Daily News Central. FDA's OK of Cervical Cancer Vaccine May Spawn Multi-billion Dollar Market.
- January 16, 2009: Seattle Post Intelligencer — “Gardasil Vaccine for boys?” by Betsy Hart
- January 9, 2009: Wall Street Journal— “FDA Again Says No to Expanded Gardasil Use”
- January 5, 2009: CNBC-TV — “Merck Files for FDA Approval of Gardasil for Males”
- October 24, 2008: NY Daily News — “New Gardasil cervical cancer vaccination requirements for immigrants stirs controversy”
- October 17, 2008: Bloomberg News — “Merck Aims Gardasil to Women Least Likely to Benefit”
- August 21, 2008: New England Journal of Medicine — “Human Papillamovirus Vaccine – Reason for Caution”
- August 21, 2008: Wall Street Journal — “Study Questions Cost Effectiveness of Gardasil Cervical Cancer Vaccine”
- August 19, 2008: New York Times — “Drug Makers Push Leads to Cancer Vaccine’s Rise
- August 15, 2008: Holy Hormones Honey! – The Greatest Story Never Told: “Vaccinating Teens During Menstrual Phase May Increase Adverse Reactions”
- July 20, 2008: New York Post — “My Girl Died as ‘Guinea Pig’ for Gardasil”
- July 7, 2008: CBS-TV News — “Serious Questions About HPV Vaccine”
- July 6, 2008: New York Post — “Fed’s Warning Shot – Gardasil Cancer Vaccine Probed for Links to 18 Deaths”
- July 2, 2008: US News & World Report — “Is HPV Vaccine To Blame for Teen’s Paralysis?”
- June 30, 2006: Judicial Watch — “Judicial Watch Uncovers New FDA Records Detailing Ten New Deaths & 140 “Serious” Adverse Events Related to Gardasil.”
- June 19, 2008: Time Magazine — “Anti-Vaccine Activists vs. Gardasil”
- June 6, 2008: Dallas Morning News — “HPV Vaccine’s suspected side effects cause concern; CDC says drug is safe”
- December 6, 2007: Fox News — “28 Women Miscarry After Receiving HPV Vaccine Gardasil: FDA Says No Reason to Re-examine Approval.”
- December 4, 2007: MSNBC — “Merck Reaffirms 2007 Profit Outlook”
- November 14, 2007: InjuryBoard.com — “Did Gardasiil Vaccine Cause a 12-year old Girl’s Paralysis?”
- November 2, 2007: TheStreet.com — “Vaccines Give Merck Booster Shot.”
- October 29, 2007: The Canadian — “Harper government irresponsibly approves HPV vaccine that causes atrocious side effects for young girls, including cancer”
- October 1, 2008: Medical News Today — Prominent Scientist Warns of HPV Vaccine Dangers Source
- September 26, 2007: American Academy of Family Physicians — “CDC Investigates Reports of GBS Following HPV Immunization – No Changes in Currrent Recommendations”
- September 21, 2007: Bloomberg News — “Merck Vaccine Should Be Required, Global, Experts Say”
- September 7, 2007: AlterNet.org — “HPV Vaccine Flags Need for More Pap Tests.”
- August 27, 2007: Bloomberg News —“Oral-Sex Cancer Link Suggests Boys Need Merck Vaccine”
- May 23, 2007: The Record-Courier — Family Awaits News on Daughter’s Illness
- May 11, 2007: Sacramento Bee — Dan Walters Column
- May 10, 2007: San Francisco Chronicle — UCSF Doctors Warn on Wide Use of Cervical Cancer Vaccine
- April 19, 2007: Market Watch — “Merck posts 12% profit rise, affirms 2007 forecast”
- March 14, 2007: Fort Wayne Daily News — Researcher Blasts HPV Marketing
- March 3, 2007: Boston Globe — “VA set to Mandate Gardasil”
- March 2007: Alert Mind Publishing — “Merck, Gardasil & Coercion” by Barry A.
- February 26, 2007: Medical News Today — “Actions Taken on HPV Vaccine Proposals in Arkansas, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, South Dakota, Texas, Virginia”
- February 20, 2007: Bloomberg News — Merck Stops Campaign to Mandate Gardasil Vaccine Use
- February 11, 2007: Washington Post — Drugmaker Assists In Pushing for Mandate For HPV
- February 2, 2007: Bloomberg News — Merck Gets First U.S. Cancer-Shot Mandate, From Texas
- February 1, 2007: Washington Post— Letter to the Editor from Barbara Loe FIsher, “Risk, Racism and the HPV Vaccine”
- January 30, 2007: KSL News Radio — “Merck Lobbies States Over Cancer Vaccine”
- January 24, 2007: Washington Post — “Force Is Not the Only Way to administer a Vaccine” by Courtland Milloy
- January 10, 2007: Washington Post: — D.C. Bill Would Mandate Vaccine
- November 10, 2006: Medical News Today — “First Teen Vaccination Delivery Program in the Country Funded by Boston Celtics”
- October 18, 2006: Global Health Report.org — “Sanofi Pasteur Begins Selling Merck’s HPV Vaccine Gardasil in Six E.U. Countries”
- July 18, 2006: New York Times — “A New Vaccine for Girls, But Should It Be Compulsory?” by Roni Rabin.
- July 4, 2006: Medical News Today — “CDC Panel Recommends HPV Vaccine Gardasil for Girls Ages 11, 12, Recommends Coverage By Federal Program”
Selected Medical Literature Articles:
- Shiller JT, Lowy DR. Papillomavirus-Like Particle Vaccines. JNCI Monographs 2000(28): 50-54.
- Gupta RK, Rost BE. Aluminum compounds as vaccine adjuvants. Methods in Molecular Medicine. 2000 April 15; Vol 42: 65-89.
- Baylor NW, Egan W, Richman P. Aluminum salts in vaccines - US perspective. Vaccine 2002 May 31; 20 Suppl 3: 518-23.
Gardasil Vaccine Product Manufacturer Insert
Merck & Co. 2008. Quadrivalent Human Papillomavirus Types 6,11,16,18) Recombinant Vaccine
Centers for Disease Control Information
- CDC. Genital HPV Infection Fact Sheet.
- Cervical Cancer Screening and Prevention
- United States Cancer Statistics
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases, Genital HPV Infection, CDC Fact Sheet
- HPV Vaccine Questions and Answers
- National Immunization Program, HPV Vaccine Information Sheet
- October 21, 2008: CDC: Reports of Health Concerns Following HPV Vaccination
- March 12, 2007: MMWR: “Quadrivalent Human Papillomavirus Vaccine: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP)
Food and Drug Administration
- FDA. Information Pertaining to Labeling Revision for Gardasil: 15-Minute Observation Period Needed After Vaccination. June 9, 2009.
- FDA. Vaccines & Related Biological Products Advisory Committee. Background Document: Gardasil HPV Quadrivalent Vaccine. May 18, 2009.
- FDA. Gardasil - Questions & Answers
- FDA Press Release on Gardasil (2006)
- FDA Product Approval Information Licensing Action: GARDASIL Questions and Answers.
- FDA Transcript, November 28-29, 2001, Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee (VRBPAC)
- FDA Background Document (May 18, 2006) Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee: Gardasil HPV Quadrivalent Vaccine
National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- Cancer Vaccines: What are they & how are they made?
- National Cancer Institute "Vaccine Protects Against Virus Linked to Half of All Cervical Cancers"
- Cancer Stat Fact Sheets (National Cancer Institute)
- PROVE (Parents Requesting Open Vaccine Education)
By Jenese James
WARNING: All those who have had this vaccine are now warned to go and get a pap smear - There are over 200 events reported to the American Adverse affects VARES detailing abnormal pap smears in girls who have had Merck’s HPV Vaccination Gardasil…. Its just a matter of time before we see the same thing happen here.
Here in New Zealand we are already witnessing the same rising death toll and debilitating illness as those experienced by other young girls and women in every country that this toxic (deadly) vaccine has been approved.
And like other health officials globally - New Zealand health officials remain tight lipped and very pro vaccine even in the face of incredible evidence gathered by mothers and girls themselves.
NO ONE is listening
NO ONE in official circles gives a dam and are to busy protecting the interests of Big Busine$$ - they tend to dismiss the deaths, the adverse affects debilitating illness of over 200 young women (according to CARM) as not significant.
Schools are bullying young girls into getting this - Read this interesting article based on an Auckland experience
“A mother and daughter agreed to share their story of how the pressure to participate in the Gardasil school-based vaccination programme led to a full-scale argument between them and ongoing hostility.”
There are reports coming through of Doctors offices ignoring the instructions given by the manufacturer NOT to give to pregnant women – they didn’t listen and there have been miscarriages - and not to give to those with known allergies - they didn't listen
Vaccination is NOT the same as immunization although the same toxic ingredients are included
"Vaccination involves intoxication and hypersensitization of the immune system. Alternatively, 'immunization' classically involves natural, not man-made genetically-engineered, exposures to germs. The two terms have been purposely confused and falsely promoted in the media to mean the same."
Why are our health officials ignoring what is happening overseas – why are doctors offices, district health boards not bothering to do their research?
It seems they are all content to protect their investment and would rather ‘protect’ big pharma than the lives and health of young kiwi girls.
And why did TV one’s Close up NOT show the interview of Rhonda Renata and the death of her daughter by Gardasil as advertised for thursday night? Excuse me for being a tad ‘suspicious
The evidence is clear – Gardasil is dangerous and will result not only in death and debilitating illness but in a possible pandemic of cervical cancer – the evidence is slowly growing.
Please read my last article for the dodgy science related to this dangerous vaccine
The response to these two articles and others after the death of Jasmine Renata from mainstream media has been interesting – all vying for the story - but where is it?
In response to what could be rightly called a PANDEMIC a global voice is emerging with the emergence of a new web site called
Here mothers and daughters from around the word are adding their stories and voices – will NZzzzzz authorities ignore this as well.
What comes out of all of this is the lack of INFORMED choice – all parents and young girls are getting are the pro’s – the medical profession only seems to parrot the pros and conceal the cons – just like TV ones news report last year
Informed choice is your RIGHT and it is NOT being given - you have a right to know all the FACTS not just the pretty ones
Symptoms: Smear cervix abnormal
Write-up: Information has been received from a consumer concerning a female who was vaccinated with the first dose of Gardasil. Approximately two months after receiving the vaccine, the patient had an abnormal pap smear. The consumer considered the abnormal pap smear to be immediately life-threatening. This is one of two reports received from the same source.
Symptoms: Smear cervix abnormal
Write-up: Information has been received from a female in her mid-20's who in approximately March 2007, was vaccinated with the first dose of Gardasil. On approximately 03-May-2007 the patient had an abnormal pap smear. The patient considered the abnormal pap smear to be immediately life-threatening. Additional information is not expected. This is one of two reports received from the same source.
Symptoms: Human papilloma virus test positive, Smear cervix abnormal, Smear cervix normal
Write-up: Information has been received from a physician concerning a 19 year old female patient with a negative pap smear on March 2006. In October 2006, the patient was vaccinated with the first dose 0.5 mL, of Gardasil, on December 2006 with the second dose 0.5 mL of Gardasil. On 10-MAR-2007 the patient presented with positive HPV with atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance (ASCUS) pap smear after receiving second vaccination. The patient did not have the third vaccination as of this report date and the outcome was unknown. Additional information has been requested.
Symptoms: Anogenital warts, Papilloma viral infection, Smear cervix abnormal
Write-up: Information has been received from a physician concerning a female who was vaccinated with Gardasil (date and dose not provided). Subsequently at an unspecified time, the patient had a Pap smear that tested positive for HPV 6 and HPV 11. It was also reported that the patient experienced a break out of genital warts not long after vaccination with HPV. It was reported that the patient sought unspecified medical attention. Additional information has been requested.
Symptoms: Human papilloma virus test positive, Smear cervix abnormal
Write-up: Information has been received from a consumer concerning her daughter who was vaccinated with the first and second doses of Gardasil. The consumer reported that a week after the second vaccination, her daughter's pap test came back HPV positive. No further information was provided. Additional information has been requested.
Symptoms: Papilloma viral infection, Smear cervix abnormal
Write-up: Information has been received from a health professional concerning an approximately 25 year old female with an allergy to Hydrocodone, who on 15-NOV-2006 was vaccinated with Gardasil. Concomitant therapy included ORTHO-CYCLEN. A short time after her second dose, she had a routine Pap which was positive for abnormal cells and positive for a high risk strain of HPV. No other symptoms were reported. Date of first vaccination not provided. Additional information has been requested.
Symptoms: Abortion induced, Drug exposure during pregnancy, Papilloma viral infection, Pregnancy test positive, Smear cervix abnormal
Write-up: Initial and follow up information has been received, from a physician and a healthcare professional, concerning a 19 year old white female patient, with no previous pregnancies and a history of an abnormal pap (indicating human papilloma virus, atypical squamous cell of undetermined significance and a low grade squamous intraepithelial lesion; date unspecified), who on 21-NOV-2006, was vaccinated with the first dose of Gardasil (Lot #653650/0702F), and on 22-JAN-2007 with the second dose of Gardasil (Lot #654540/1161F). On 22-MAY-2007, the patient took a pregnancy test in the doctor's office which was positive. The patient was unsure of the date of her LMP. No problems were reported. Follow up information from the healthcare professional indicated the patient "had decided to terminate the pregnancy," although the reason for the decision was not specified, and the date for the procedure was left blank; it was not confirmed that the procedure had actually been completed. Upon internal review, decided to terminate the pregnancy was determined to be serious as another important medical event. Additional information has been requested.
THERE ARE 28 MORE PAGES OF THESE !!!
Read them all here for yourselves
(NaturalNews) A federal report has concluded that the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine Gardasil has a 400 percent higher rate of adverse effects than another comparable vaccine, the Menactra anti-meningitis shot.
"It is unusual for there to be such a big discrepancy between two vaccines used in similar populations involving serious and relatively rare life threatening adverse events and autoimmune disorders," the researchers from the federal Vaccine Events Reporting System wrote.
Gardasil, marketed by Merck, prevents againt the strains of HPV believed to be responsible for 70 percent of cervicalcancer cases and 90 percent of genital warts cases. GlaxoSmithKline's competing Cervarix vaccine protects against the same cervical cancer-causing strains.
The researchers considered Gardasil and Menactra equivalent for the purposes of comparison because they are given to similar age groups at similar frequencies. Their study concluded that Gardasil was associated with twice as many emergency room visits, four times as many deaths, four times as many heart attacks, seven times as many "disabled" reports and 15 times as many strokes. All reported cases of blood clots and heart attacks associated with Gardasil occurred when the vaccine was given alone, not in conjunction with other drugs.
"Fainting, which has been attributed by doctors and health officials as 'fear' of needles in teenage girls, is reported six times as often ... after receipt of Gardasil than Menactra even though Menactra is also given to girls in the same age group," the researchers noted.
The report recommends that the government more thoroughly investigate reports of dangerous side effects from the HPV vaccine, that research be conducted into mechanisms by which the vaccine might cause these effects, and that patients and parents be more adequately warned of the risks before vaccination. It also recommends that Congress investigate how the vaccine was fast-tracked for approval in the absence of safety data on girls younger than 17.
Sources for this story include: familylifenz.wordpress.com
Gardasil Accused of Serious Side-Effects; Parents Feel Put Off by Merck
Posted by Shannon LC Cate
Parents of girls and young women who had dangerous health crises--even sudden death--following Gardasil vaccinations, are feeling frustrated with doctors, the government and parent company Merck's response their concerns that the vaccination triggered the problems.
Did the vaccination cause incidents of Bell's Palsy, Epilepsy, ALS-like symptoms and similar issues? Did a pre-existing condition coincidentally rear its head after the vaccination--but unconnected to it--or could some combination be the case? Perhaps a pre-existing tendency towards a health problem was pushed into an actual condition by the drug?
Answers to these questions are critically important for their own sake of course. Perhaps these parents and their daughters are owed some compensation from Merck. Perhaps Merck needs to work out problems with the vaccine or add warnings and guidelines for doctors. But parents are complaining that they are too often put on indefinite hold, given forms to fill out that seem to go nowhere or simply dismissed by both Merck officials and the doctors administering the vaccines.
I worry that besides these possible dangerous side-effects of the vaccine, the most dangerous one yet is that a vaccine that is perfectly safe--and other vaccines by association--might develop a reputation as life-threatening, such that girls and women who might reap benefits--even life-saving ones--from this vaccine and others, won't get the shots.
Vaccines have a dark and murky reputation, more than anything because people who do have problems with them--however few--are treated with such disdain by the medical establishment.
I am of the opinion that vaccines are far and away a good thing. But that doesn't mean we should be uncritical of how they are developed or overlook serious complications that may arise from them. Quite the contrary, if we are to build public trust in them, serious scrutiny needs to be given to any claim that a serious side-effect has occurred.
Previous Related Posts:
A Public Service Post: New Web Site Launched For Gardasil Victims : The Problem Continues