Limbaugh's Racist Shocker: "We Need Segregated Buses" Plus More Health Hate.
Anti-Obama Sentiment Like '70s San Fran: Pelosi
By JIM IOVINO House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Thursday likened the tone of the current uprising against President Barack Obama to the anti-gay political ...
See all stories on this topic
Pelosi: Hate could fuel increase in violence
Capitol Hill Blue
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi says hate-filled rhetoric over President Barack Obama's health care reform proposals could fuel a dangerous increase in violence. ...
See all stories on this topic
In a remark extraordinary even by the standards of his show, Rush Limbaugh said explicitly, Wednesday that the United States needed to return to racially segregated busing.
In a remark extraordinary even by the standards of conservative talk show host Rush Limbaugh, the right-wing radio heavyweight declared on his program Wednesday that the United States needed to return to racially segregated buses.
Referring to an incident in which a white student was beaten by black students on a bus, Limbaugh said: “I think the guy’s wrong. I think not only it was racism, it was justifiable racism. I mean, that’s the lesson we’re being taught here today. Kid shouldn’t have been on the bus anyway. We need segregated buses — it was invading space and stuff. This is Obama’s America.”
A full transcript of Limbaugh’s comments on his radio show is available at MediaMatters.org.
Limbaugh’s comments came after a called complained to say that local law enforcement said the attack probably wasn’t racially motivated. The incident had been hyped by the conservative Drudge Report, which posted a video of the fracas.
“Police initially said the beating of the white student by two black students appeared to be racially motivated,” the Associated Press wrote. “But police on Tuesday backed away from that.”
That didn’t stop Limbaugh from making his comments Wednesday.
“In Obama’s America, the white kids now get beat up with the black kids cheering, ‘Yay, right on, right on, right on, right on,” Limbaugh also said. “I wonder if Obama’s going to come to come to the defense of the assailants the way he did his friend Skip Gates up there at Harvard.”
“White Americans are racists who have created what they call free markets that really just enslave the rest of America and her trading partners,” Limbaugh also mocked. “I mean, it was white Americans that ran off Van Jones. No, look, let’s just follow Eric Holder’s advice and not be cowards about all this. Let’s have an open conversation, an honest conversation about all of our typical white grandmothers. You had one, I had one. Obama had one. They’re racists just like our students are. ACORN — hey, nothing but racism fueling the pursuit of ACORN.”
Limbaugh also suggested that racism itself was acceptable.
“If homosexuality being inborn is what makes it acceptable, why does racism being inborn not make racism acceptable?” the talk show host asked. “I’m sorry — I mean, this is the way my mind works. But apparently now we don’t choose racism, we just are racists. We are born that way. We don’t choose it. So shouldn’t it be acceptable, excuse — this is according to the way the left thinks about things.”
The second set of comments occurs in the audio clip below…
Unbelievable: As a Lesbian Mother, I Have to Pay More For Health Care
Elizabeth G. Hines
5 Reasons the Baucus Health Bill Fails the Basics
Adele M. Stan
Stop GOP Hooligans From Stalling Health Reform
Boehner and Cantor Worried Crazy Person Michele Bachmann May Harm GOP Reputation
By Tana Ganeva, AlterNet
Really? more »
1. President Obama: Make Sure Families Can Afford the Insurance They Are Forced to Buy by Roger Hickey, The Huffington Post, September 7, 2009
2. Rockefeller, Hacker,and Hickey Hold Conference Call to Discuss Importance of Public Insurance Option, Press call with Senator Jay Rockefeller, Jacob Hacker and Roger Hickey, The Institute for America's Future, September 15, 2009
- Rockefeller won't vote for Baucus health bill by Jeffrey Young, The Hill, 9/15/09. Sen. Jay Rockefeller (W.Va.), the second-ranking Democrat on the Finance Committee, will not vote in favor of the healthcare reform bill his panel's chairman will introduce Wednesday, he told reporters Tuesday. "There is no way in its present form that I will vote for it," Rockefeller said during a conference call co-hosted by the liberal Campaign for America's Future.
- Jay won't support health-care bill without public option by Ken Ward Jr., The Charleston Gazette
- Rockefeller Stands Up for Liberals on Health Care by Jackie Calmes, September 17, 2009
- Sen. Rockefeller Won't Vote For Baucus Health Bill, The Huffington Post, Sept. 15, 2009
- Senator Rockefeller, a Key Democrat, Says He Opposes Baucus Plan by Jackie Calmes, The New York Times, Sept. 15, 2009
- Senator Jay Rockefeller on Charlie Rose, (video) September 17, 2009
3. Rockefeller To Baucus: Co-Ops Are No Substitute For A Public Health Insurance Plan by Monica Sanchez, The Campaign for America's Future, September 16, 2009
4. 45,000 American deaths associated with lack of insurance by Madison Park, CNN, September 18, 2009
5. "Billionaires For Wealthcare" At Teabagger Protest In Washington, DC by Rachel Maddow, MSNBC, September 14, 2009
- Who's Paying to Kill Health Reform: A handy chart showing where the money is coming from
- Health Reform Fact Check: Make sure that you are armed with the facts regarding the myths about health insurance reform
- Health Care for America Now: Premiums Soaring in Consolidated Health Insurance Market: Lack of Competition Hurts Rural States, Small Businesses
- Jacob Hacker: "Healthy Competition: How to Structure Public Health Insurance Plan Choice to Ensure Risk-Sharing, Cost Control, and Quality Improvement" (PDF)
- Jacob Hacker: "The Case For Public Plan Choice in National Health Reform: Key to Cost Control and Quality Coverage" (PDF)
- Diane Archer: "Near Universal Coverage, But No Cost Controls or Guarantee of Quality, Affordable Health Care for All" (PDF)
- Frank Clemente: "A Public Health Insurance Plan: Reducing Costs and Improving Quality" (PDF)
- The Commonwealth Fund: The Path to a High Performance U.S. Health System: A 2020 Vision and the Policies to Pave the Way
- Leaders and Experts Agree that a Public Insurance Option is Critical to the Success of Obama's Health Reform Proposals (PDF)
Something For The Media To Consider Before Letting Glenn Beck Set Their News Agenda
Fox News' Glenn Beck has made no secret of his desire to influence the types of stories other news outlets cover, at one point boasting that a story on his program on the community organizing group ACORN would divert the media's attention from health care reform. However, Beck's long and growing list of controversial statements -- which are often conspiratorial, racial, and violent in nature -- undercut his credibility as a de facto news editor.
Beck seeks to influence mainstream media narratives
"Everybody now says they're going to be talking about health care. I don't think so." On the September 9 edition of Fox News' Glenn Beck, Beck teased the following day's program: "Tomorrow -- tomorrow, things change. I think things change a lot for those in power. The tides are about to turn, and that will be on tomorrow's broadcast." Beck added: "Trust me. Everybody now says they're going to be talking about health care. I don't think so. Tomorrow you will see an exclusive -- stuff on tomorrow's program." The "exclusive stuff" Beck promised were snippets of avideo compiled by conservative activist and filmmaker James O'Keefe and Townhall.com columnist Hannah Giles going to ACORN's Baltimore office and, in O'Keefe's words, "posing the most ridiculous criminal scenario we could think of and seeing if they would comply-which they did without hesitation." Beck subsequently criticized non-Fox news outlets for devoting insufficient coverage to his "huge" story; following this criticism, all three network evening news programs covered the story.
Incessantly promoted 9-12 rally. Beck routinely implored his audience to attend the September 12 "Tea Party" rally in Washington, taking ownership of the rally and promoting it on his 9-12 Project website. Fox News followed Beck's lead in hyping the event. Leading up to the rally, media outlets like CNN announced that they would be covering the rally extensively.
Key figure in the "czar" witch hunt. Beck led the charge against former "green jobs czar" Van Jones, falsely accusing Jones of being a "convicted felon" and attacking him as a "communist." After Jones resigned on September 6, Beck listed other White House advisers he intended to go after, encouraging his followers on Twitter to "[f]ind everything you can on Cass Sunstein, Mark Lloyd, and Carol Browner." On September 8, Beck said that Van Jones was "the tip of the iceberg," adding: "I mean, I've got pages of them and I'm trying to figure -- you know, because there is this Web site that's out there. And they actually put -- they did like this schematic of who I'm going to go after next."
Beck's newest target: the SEIU. Beck's September 18 newsletter teased his Fox News program: "Glenn's been telling you about the connections between Acorn, SEIU and the President for months now. Tonight he connects all the dots." On the September 16 edition of his Fox News program (transcript from the Nexis database), Beck suggested that he would attack the Service Employees International Union, asking "[w]hy is the union, SEIU so involved" in the health care debate. Beck explained that the SEIU and other "legitimate concerns are not what the debate is turning into. You know, I used to call it the mainstream media. And I have been thinking for the last few days, it can't be called the mainstream media anymore, because it's not. They're not covering anything that mainstream is talking about."
Beck's credibility undermined by his own rhetoric
Racial attacks on Obama and others. Beck has frequently attacked President Obama and other progressives as "racists," or used other racially charged terms.
- Obama is a "racist" and "has a deep-seated hatred for white people, or the white culture." Beck said: "This president, I think, has exposed himself as a guy -- over and over and over again -- who has a deep-seated hatred for white people, or the white culture -- I don't know what it is. But you can't sit in a pew with Jeremiah Wright for 20 years and not hear some of that stuff and not have it wash over." He later added, "I'm not saying that he doesn't like white people. I'm saying he has a problem. He has a -- this guy is, I believe, a racist. Look at the way -- look at the things he has been surrounded by." [Fox News' Fox & Friends, 7/28/09]
- "Everything that is getting pushed through Congress, including this health care bill" is "driven by President Obama's thinking on ... reparations" and his desire to "settle old racial scores." According to Beck, "Everything that is getting pushed through Congress, including this health care bill, are transforming America. And they are all driven by President Obama's thinking on one idea: reparations." Beck later added that Obama's "goal is creating a new America, a new model, a model that will settle old racial scores through new social justice." [Glenn Beck, 7/23/09]
- Sotomayor is a "racist" who "is not that bright" and "divisive." Discussing then-Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor, Beck said, "I think the woman is a racist. ... I think the woman is not so bright. From what I have heard from people who have worked around her, worked with her ... she's not that bright, and she is a divisive individual." [Premiere Radio Networks' The Glenn Beck Program, 5/28/09]
- ACORN is "enslaving people." Beck claimed of ACORN co-founder Wade Rathke and his brother Dale: "I think I can make the case that these guys are 21st-century slave owners. They are enslaving people through ACORN." [Glenn Beck, 9/10/09]
- Stimulus package is "slavery." Beck said of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009: "It is the nanny state. They're going to tell us what we can eat, they're can tell us what our temperature needs to be in our homes, they can tell us what kind of car to drive. They can tell businesses how to run their business. It's slavery. It is slavery." [Fox & Friends, 2/10/09]
Beck's conspiracy-mongering. Beck has concocted several conspiracy theories purporting to "connect the dots" between controversial figures and progressive groups and expose alleged corruption or malfeasance by the Obama administration.
- New Orleans levees allowed to fail to hide ACORN corruption. Beck claimed that "everybody" in New Orleans "knew that we're a sitting duck if a hurricane comes" and that "everybody also knows that the government is completely corrupt down there." Beck went on to ask: "If you were an organization or a city that was just riddled with corruption, and you knew it and everybody knew it and there was all kinds of funny things going on, and a hurricane blew through -- wouldn't it be convenient if all of your records were destroyed?" Beck went on to say that this "corruption" was linked to SEIU and ACORN. [The Glenn Beck Program, 9/11/09]
- "I can't debunk" FEMA camps conspiracy theory. In March, Beck stated: "We are a country that is headed towards socialism, totalitarianism, beyond your wildest imagination. I have to tell you, I'm doing a story tonight that I wanted to debunk these FEMA camps." Beck further stated: "I'm tired of hearing -- I wanted to debunk them. Well, we've now for several days done research on them. I can't debunk them. And we're going to carry the story tonight. ... [I]t is our government. If you trust our government, it's fine. If you have any kind of fear that we might be headed towards a totalitarian state, look out, buckle up. There is something going on in our country that is -- ain't good." [Fox News' Fox & Friends, 3/3/09] (Beck eventually managed to "debunk" this theory.)
- Obama is a "genius architect" who "wants you to work as a bureaucratic slave to government." Beck claimed that Obama and the Democrats are "steering our youth into community service" and "incentivizing working for the government with promises now of paying off college loans," adding: "He wants you to work as a bureaucratic slave to government. You work for them for 10 years, and you don't have to worry about any debt for education." Beck added the caveat: "Maybe I'm crazy for going down this road, but from what we already know about Washington, the truth is always stranger than fiction, and the sooner we realize that, the faster we're going to be able to stop and go down the road paved with a couple of bricks of common sense." [Fox News' Glenn Beck, 7/24/09]
- Maybe Treasury is "selling black-market bonds." Discussing the reports of "two middle aged guys with Japanese passports who were stopped by Italian police after trying to enter Switzerland with $134.5 billion worth of U.S. treasury bonds," Beck said, "And this story has not been in The New York Times yet. That's weird, isn't it? That's why we're left with speculation." Among the possible "scenarios" that Beck explored was the possibility that "[t]he treasury or the Federal Reserve is selling black-market bonds or double-dealing some way or another." [Fox News' Glenn Beck, 6/19/09 (transcript from the Nexis database)]
- Beck sees communism and fascism at every turn. At various points, Beck has attacked as communist or fascistic (or both): health care reform, the Bush and Obama presidencies, artwork in New York City, Obama's "civilian national security force," thestimulus package, and the auto company bailouts.
Beck's violent rhetoric and imagery. In attacking Democrats and progressives, Beck has invoked acts of violence, even after imploring his own audience not to turn violent.
- Beck discussed "put[ting] poison" in Nancy Pelosi's wine. Beck imagined being invited to a "shindig" put on by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, saying: "So, Speaker Pelosi, I just wanted to -- you gonna drink your wine? Are you blind? Do those eyes not work? There you -- I want you to drink it now. Drink it. Drink it. Drink it. ... By the way, I put poison in your -- no, I -- I look forward to all the policy discussions that we're supposed to have -- you know, on health care, energy reform, and the economy." [Glenn Beck, 8/6/09]
- Beck poured "gasoline" on an "average American, said: "President Obama, why don't you just set us on fire?" Bringing an actor onto his show to "demonstrate at least how I feel" about Obama's policies, Beck proceeded to pour water out of a gasoline can onto the actor, exclaiming: "President Obama, why don't you just set us on fire?" Beck went on to plead for "some sanity in our country for a second." [Glenn Beck, 4/9/09]
- Beck listed people he'd like to "beat to death with a shovel." In 2001, Beck enumerated the various people that he "would want to kill with a shovel," or "line up" and "shoot ... in the head," including Rep. Charles Rangel (D-NY). [3/9/2001]
Recently, former US President, Jimmy Carter, asserted (in his usual matter-of-fact style) that the recent attacks on President Barack Obama were racially motivated at their core. As expected, the White House 'respectfully disagreed' (as should be their stance) but the reality as we all know it is that the former president, always one not to mince words, was dead-on and the evidence is there as we all continue to be witnesses to the coarsening of the national discourse, more-so over the last eight months.
The article (below) titled "Obama Is Not American", written by a Nigerian-American writer, Paul I. Adujie and reprinted with permission, takes a rather poignant look at the history and chronology of the politics surrounding the making of the first black president, in the history of the United States of America.
"Obama Is Not American"
In 2007, events in the United States moved me to wonder publicly, whether race relations were actually getting worse as opposed to, progressing? I asked then and I ask again now, whether “Race Relations Is Regressing in America? What with the return to slavery era language? What with a return to tactics of that ignominious era? Brandishing of weapons, guns, knives, fire, fists, clubs, stones and the pinning of mustache on Obama to portray his as fascist and even as Adolf Hitler?
Last Saturday, crowds of mostly racists, illiterates and bigots besieged Washington D.C. in their thousands. And they chanted USA, USA, USA, they claimed that they are the “real” Americans; self-proclaimed “Nativists” who were saying that this is a matter of self-preservation, against socialists and communists, arguments cloaked in identical façade during battles against slavery and segregation when racists claimed that they were trying to preserve their race or its “purity” They mostly spoke in code words often used by racists and xenophobes. Those Minuteman types, who never worry about terrorists coming into the USA through Canada, as has been the case, but they are paranoid about hardworking immigrants coming into the United States from Mexico. Racism, bigotry and prejudice is written all over the current attacks against President Obama, by these chortling crowd.
This is all about Obama’s color! Some Americans are labeling President Obama Adolf Hitler, Al Quieda sympathizer, a September 11, 2002 hijacker, an advocate of Eugenics, a Hugo Chavez and Fidel Castro identical policy twin! Ignorant protesters with a herd mentality, they are so illiterate, so much so, they confuse feudal Russia with Czars, with communists who overthrew the feudalists! So that the appointment of czars (heads of government agency) to enforce policies is synonymous with the introduction of communism into America by Obama, so that, transport czar, internet security czar and narcotics enforcement czar, are all harbingers of the onset of communism into America through Obama!
The protesters were mostly nuts and simpletons, who are being choreographed by the inanities of political handlers and some ratings conscious members of the so-called mainstream media, who are milking the advertised idiocies of these nuts, for high ratings. There are willful exploitation of these multitudes of illiterate Americans by Machiavelli like politicians and journalists, who are polarizing the American populace for monetary benefits. President Obama is falsely accused of planning to confiscate privately owned properties of individual Americans as well as planning to impose Islam on unsuspecting Christians in America.
Since the presidential campaign in 2008 during which the term “real Americans and real America” was made a recurring term by that incongruously ignorant Sarah Palin of small town, in Alaska, it has become a euphemism for those with the nonsensical conspiracy theory regarding whether or not Obama is ineligible to be elected or to have been elected president of the United States. Those conspiracy theorists, better known as “conspi-racists” for their “conspi-racism”, have become so loud, and they are also now, alternately referred to as the “birthers”
Harsh racial politics of South Carolina is historical. A South Carolina Congressman once brought an Iron rod or can to whip state of Massachusetts congressman Sumner almost to death because Sumner was an abolitionist… and all this happened on the floor of the US Congress.
In proper perspectives therefore, historically, South Carolina, has been perennially backward, in racial matters… it is no surprise that Joe Wilson, the “Con-gressman” for SC would, on the floor of the US Congress shout-down President Obama, in Wilson most outrageous manner. South Carolina is also one of the states in the South, which still proudly hoist the “Con-federate” flag… which celebrates confederacy, with all its pungent putrid history of slavery, segregation, Jim Crow laws and institutional racism etc
On the floor of the US Congress, the following statements were made by Congressman James Henry Hammond:
"All this leave one to wonder what would happen next, would South Carolina and their fellow con-federates with shared racism seek secession from the United States as they did in the past? A South Carolina Congressman, James Henry Hammond once said, “Although I am perfectly satisfied that no human process can elevate the black man to an equality with the white - admitting that it could be done – are we prepared to face the consequences which then must follow? Are the people of the North prepared to … place their political power on equality with their own? Are we prepared to see them mingling in our legislatures? Is any portion of this country prepared to see them enter these halls and take their seats by our sides, in the perfect equality with the white representatives of an Anglo-Saxon race – to see them fill that chair – to see them placed at the heads of your Departments; or to see, perhaps, some Othello, or Toussaint, or Boyer, gifted with the genius and inspired by ambition, grasp the presidential wreath, and wield the destinies of this great republic? From such a picture I turn with irrepressible disgust”
This was hundred of moons ago. We all thought that these sorts of mindsets and racists attitudes were behind us” But no!
There is so much idiocy going on in America these days. Racism is alive and well, but it now too often wears fine clothes and expresses itself in impeccable grammar wrapped in robust syntax. These season of unreason and idiocies by racists, (and their facilitators) have been exacerbated in recent times, as more and more racists are expressing their crude umbrages because a man with darker hues, unusual and unknown in the “traditions” of the Oval Office, in the presidential building of the United States, which is also known as the White House. Why would any sane American compare President Obama to Adolf Hitler? It is the case that Obama has been called Marxist, fascist, socialist, communist and his upper lip adorned with a mustache reminiscent of Adolf Hitler’s mustache, how egregious!
Many American racists are obviously pained and sorely disappointed by the fait accompli of having, this colored-man at the helms of political affairs, in the United States! Who would have thunk-it?! That there is a biracial man, who now parades himself as president of the United States! What has the world turned to? And they seem to hide and seek refuge in the open, with their base racists commentaries against Obama, even as the cast themselves as being merely interested in critical examinations of Obama’s public policies.
These strident and most vociferous critics are no critics at all; they are really bigoted attackers of President Obama. Their racial prejudices cannot be concealed, despite their most ostentatious efforts at obfuscating their real motives in all of this. What does any reasonable person make of those who remain adamant and persistent insistence, in their conspiracy theories regarding President Obama’s place of birth and religious adherence? ” Despite incontrovertible evidence, and available facts, the Birthers” continues to assert that Mr. Obama was not born in the United States! And clearly, this is an attack as to his qualification to be president of the United States. If these shenanigans were merely at the fringes of public debate and the American society, it would have been easy to dismiss it.
But, when so-called journalist such as Lou Dobbs, Glen Beck and many more on the television, are continually and continuously giving pedestals and podiums for psychotic debates about Obama’s citizenship and religion, the prejudice and bigotry rises to a din and uncomfortable decibels.
Tea Party, Freedom Works, Lou Dobbs of CNN, Ann Coulter, Glen Beck and his 9/12 Project and now, Congressman Joe Wilson, have demeaned and denigrated the president of the United States in terms and manners not seen since the 1800s.
President Obama inherited two foreign wars, and a third war at home, here in the US, the wrecked economy, with attendant joblessness and frayed nerves, were the doings of Obama’s predecessor. Former President Bush burned billions of dollars, a trillion dollars and counting, in foreign wars, in his wrong-header policies and pursuit of phantom terror wars. And Obama is not even at the deck for 8 months and he is being blamed for the mess which he inherited!
Attackers of President Obama rallied in Washington D.C this past weekend, and their pronouncements, their placards, their composition, their sponsors, organizers all point to the unsavory motives of the rally and the participants. The rally was not about Health Care Reform or about any public policy. But instead, it is clear that they were motivated by vile and hatred. Just imagine those who picked quarrels with the present speech to students who were returning to school. This president is not the first to have given pep-talk to American youngsters. However, some racial baiters and racial racketeers, found it fit to suggest that President Obama was in the process on introducing their children to socialism, communism etc. They accused the president of the United States of planning to indoctrinate their children, and these magnificently ignorant attackers of the president, chose to withdraw their children and wards from school, as if the president was visiting schools, oozing with contagious diseases, maybe Swine-Flu?
I think it should be clear that the undertones of this “revolt” against President Obama’s pep-talk to American school kids, was an unstated retort, “I do not want this Negro to indoctrinate my children into socialism and theories about wealth redistribution; My child should not have to hear anything this Negro has to say” The truth of the matter is, even for those who disagree with Obama, can agree that he has the antecedents which makes him a good example or role-model for children everywhere! And I do not understand why any parent would tell a child not to listen to such a compelling example? Or why the fixation of about risks children being indoctrinated by the president. This is all about total disrespect and devaluing the presidency because of the individual who now occupies the position. There are concerted efforts to demean the current occupant of the White House.
Congressman Joe Wilson of South Carolina, brought this to the surface last Wednesday, when he behaved like a thug in the hallowed halls of the US Congress, he shouted epithets at the Negro who is parading as president of the United States!
There are, sadly, too many Americans, whose patients have been tested in the past several months, tested by the singular fact of having to call a man with a natural tan, the president of the United States! The events have been unfolding in sequence. There are those who have argued forcefully that Obama was not born in the United States, and that if he is an American citizen at all, he does not qualify, as a matter of constitutional law, to hold the presidency, as a matter of law, only citizens by birth, and not by naturalization or registration, qualify, to be elected president of the United States.
Then, there were those who were so affronted and miffed, at the prospect of this Negro and charlatan, posturing as president of the United States, and using such “false” claims, as pedestal, podium or platform to teach American children about anything! Not even a Pep talk about how to succeed against all odds? And certainly not about personal hygiene in foreboding possible Swine-Flu! Don’t you talk to my kid! No Negro talks to my kid or tells my kid how life works, never! Say the racists. And just when you were convinced that the birthers and their ilk are deranged conspiracy theorists, mostly at the fringes of the American society, a confederate soldier showed up and bared his fangs in the hallowed halls of the US Congress, he disgracefully, unabashedly and shamelessly interrupted the president mid-speech to the nation, on prime television no less, while the world watched!
You may not be as rattled as some of us are about this sequence s of events. But please be reminded that Obama was mentioned in the same sentence with guns and assassinations during the presidential campaigns in the United States in 2008. Kindly be further advised, that the Health Care Reform debates have been hijacked by persons who have demonstrated vehemence beyond impolite and cantankerous hectoring-heckling of anyone a scintilla of support for any health care reform measure.
There have been occasions when some opponents of the reforms have felt the “need” to show up with weapons at Town-Hall meetings or such other venues, just to add toxins and “gunpowder” to the needful health care reform debate. All sorts of bizarre extremisms have been employed by attackers of Obama’s Health Care Reform, among which is the falsehood, that the contemplated reforms, includes Death Panels, which would summarily decide who lives and who dies, as features of the reform rules.
We have witnessed the theatrics of the so-called Tea Party or anti tax opponents of President Obama. It has become clear, if gradually, that there is a taint and tinge beyond the pale, all these cloaked attacks on President Obama, even though many a racists still pretend to have finesse and freedom of expression sheaths, over their racially sharpened swords.
The opposition by these racists, steeped in their resentment, in having to “endure” the tenure of a president, whose color operates as an unmitigated shock to their intelligence. Congressman Wilson impulsive outbursts is proof, that racism directed at Obama since his election, is not isolated, nor should it be dismissed infinitesimal or inconsequential chatter by those in the political fringes of the American society. Those in the business of protecting President Obama should become robust and rigorous in his security and safety precautionary measures. Mr. Obama’s security team are now sufficiently on notice, that there are those in the United States, who would do Obama harm, physically, if Obama’s security detail slips.
All these are clearly indicative of the fact that racism remains an albatross around the neck of the United States. We only need to just look at the “Tea-Bagers” pretend Tea Parties, then The “Birthers” Con-gressman Joe Wilson outrageous outbursts and now, these marchers consisting of one peculiar hue; even as they wrap themselves in their CON-federate flag… what does all this tell us?
Only last week, we all witnessed the silliness of those who did not want President Obama to give their children pep talk about how to stay in school and succeed in life against all odds. Some clearly did not want their children to listen to whatever that “Negro” has to say!
I will have to assume that everyone can see clearly now, that we do not as yet, live in a color-blind society! Or live in the nonsense which some call a post-racial society, especially, since President Obama’s election!
Racists are alive and well, and sadly, in huge numbers!
During this tumultuous week, the only speech to which its listeners did not behave like a bunch of children was actually the speech by Obama to school kids. This was quite unlike the speech to the US Congress which met unsavory reactions, such reactions, as from those who mechanically clapped, or stopped clapping midway or the Joe Wilson outrageous outbursts as he castigated the president a liar!