Jim Moran: And Here’s How To Reach Your Constituency!
1.) Make A Feed Available
And Here’s How To Reach Your Constituency!
2.) Communicate Local Impact
This weekend, the House of Representatives took the last, critical steps to enact national health insurance reform. Some of the benefits of the reform package will be phased in, but many benefits will be available right away.
Here are a few examples of what you can expect upon enactment:
• It will be illegal for health insurers to drop your coverage when you get sick
• It will be illegal for health insurance companies to deny coverage to children with pre-existing conditions
• It will be illegal for insurance companies to impose lifetime limits or restrictive annual caps on benefits
• No out of pocket costs for preventive care will be mandated in all new private plans
• Young people will be able to stay on their parents’ insurance policy until their 26th birthday
• Seniors with high prescription drug costs who find themselves in the prescription drug donut hole will receive $250 to help pay for prescriptions (and eventually the donut hole will be eliminated)
• Small business owners who purchase health insurance for their employees will get tax credits
• A new independent appeals process will be established for those who feel they have unfairly been denied an insurance claim
How does health care reform specifically benefit residents of the 8th Congressional District?
• 493,000 people will see improvements in their current health care coverage.
• 8,700 people who can’t buy health insurance now because of a pre-existing condition will be able to obtain coverage.
• 101,000 families will get tax credits to help make health insurance more affordable.
• 17,500 small businesses will get tax credits to help make health insurance more affordable for their employees.
• 64,000 Medicare beneficiaries will see better care and will pay less for prescription drugs because the Medicare Part D donut hole will be closed.
• 50,000 young adults living in the 8th district will be able to stay on their parents’ health insurance policy until their 26th birthday.
• 29,000 uninsured residents will have access to health care coverage.
• 800 families won’t have to file for bankruptcy due to unaffordable health care costs.
• 8 community health centers in the eighth district will receive millions of dollars in new funding to see thousands of new patients.
Click here to download a detailed report on the benefits for the 8th Congressional District.
Here's the bottom line: I support this legislation because it is in the best interests of Northern Virginians and the nation as a whole. The current system is badly broken and maintaining the status quo only means health care costs will continue to skyrocket, millions will continue to go without care and insurance companies will continue to reap record profits.
For more information, including the details of the reform package and what you can expect upon enactment, go to www.healthreform.gov
Sincerely, James P. Moran